Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Care of a Teacher

I quit piano. Not recently, but many months ago, 7 to be exact. The playing, fun; the practicing, hard, but I loved it. I have always had a certain passion (lets say psychotic obsession) for music, therefore, when I quite, it was for a greater purpose, a more vocal purpose. I kept with the same teacher, Angela, and continued the exploration of music.

I met piano at age of twelve. We had a good time, and though I often neglected him, he never failed to cheer me up. I often ignored our relationship, and got into the trap of comfortable uselessness, that is, relying solely on talent. I now realize ( a whole entire seven months later) that I should of absorbed myself in piano, and payed more attention to Angela's advice. Oh poor Angela! She is so patient and loving!! But wait, I am getting ahead of myself.

A typical lesson: Stretching, Breathing, Buzzing, Sirens, Breathing, Scales, Songs( She often surprises me and throws in some new and unexplored vocal exercise). I absolutely, hands down, look forward to my lesson every single Friday. ( I used to miss piano lessons all the time... I HATE missing singing) The thing I appreciate the most is the care and time Angela takes to explain different things to me. She will give me a visual, or just a simple explanation, of what is happening inside me, so I can clearly see what she wants me to do. I feel at ease, I don't (well I do... but I really don't) care if I go off, and if I can't achieve something, or completely understand what I am supposed to do, she'll confidently tell me we will figure it out. It's like a project, a massive puzzle, that she is helping me put together. I revel in it!

I went into a music festival. Tomorrow I sing "Pie Jesu" and I am quite nervous, but at the same time, extremely excited. I have already done one performance, and though I didn't place, I knew I did the best I could. Seven months of singing! Angela told me that my voice has come so far,but what she doesn't realize is that she has brought me this far. I already have all the things I need, I just need to learn how to access and and develop them. Angela has the tough part: explaining, guiding, helping, showing, and everything that a singing teacher does. I cannot imagine the thought process that goes along with being a singing teacher... everyone is different. Most of all, she is patient. I really appreciate it.

Long winded, but theres a point to this anecdote. If ever I become a teacher, I will strive to become a patient, caring, knowledgeable,,,, ( you get the picture) one. Just like Angela.
( I could post a picture of her, but it would probably embarrass her if ever she saw this...hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment